Enhancement of Youth Case Management with Peer Support and Indigenous Cultural Engagement
Indigenous youth and young people 12-24 years of age.
The case management and peer support the project aims to increase:
- Connection to traditional culture
- Spirituality and healing in Indigenous Youth
Indigenous Cultural engagement and Peer Support:
- Contract Elders to provide more Indigenous cultural supports and teachings.
- Add two peer support workers, one of whom is Indigenous, to the existing case management team.
- Multidisciplinary Community Health Centre, Calgary, Alberta
- One third of youth accessing case management program are Indigenous
- Limited Indigenous supports available to young people was identified as a serious gap in a mental health needs assessment conducted by The Alex in 2021
In the words of the project team members
“With introducing Indigenous and cultural supports to the Alex, it gives young people a sense of belonging and identity in recognizing their people in this space… which establishes that relationship of trust and value.”
Key protective factors
- Cultural connectedness and identity
- Supportive relationships in the community
- Access to health and support services
- Healthy relationships with peers
- Case management
- Culturally safe